A functional, neat, and stylish kitchen is the key to comfort and safety. What should you be afraid of when designing a kitchen in any space?
Each of us knows proven tricks that help to work wonders without disturbing the functionality of the room and create an aesthetically pleasing space. Here are a few of these tricks. You need a place in the kitchen for comfortable movement and cooking. Therefore, you should make sure that it is convenient to exist in the kitchen space-to cook, eat, and store food.
Agree, it is important to leave a free space-1.2 m in front of the cabinets. Therefore, in a small kitchen, a single-row layout is most effective. It is also not recommended to use a ceiling that will be overwhelming. But the use of partially high cabinets will slightly facilitate the functional arrangement. In such a furniture design, we can successfully fit several household appliances (including an oven, microwave), so we get cool ergonomics. In small kitchens, the distance between devices should be from the group of the so-called working triangle. However, make sure that the refrigerator and hob, as well as the hob and sink, are not directly next to each other.
Creating an open space requires a major renovation of the kitchen and adjacent room, as they are associated with the demolition of partitions. Yes, this is a way out for the family in some situations. Opening the kitchen to the living room, firstly, will expand its space, secondly, will significantly decorate it, and, thirdly, will affect the communication and atmosphere in the house. The feeling of tightness and small space disappears, there are space and comfort. This solution gives us more options for kitchen furniture. For example, we can afford an island or a kitchen Peninsula on the border of the kitchen and the room. A table that will be a kind of connector will also work great here.
Alternative to a traditional table
In a small kitchen, we often use solutions that are alternative to traditional solutions. This is very important when we want to preserve all the functions of this room, taking care of the free space. Therefore, very often a regular table can be replaced with a folding or retractable top.
What are all these mistakes to avoid in kitchen design?
1. Lack of storage space is the biggest mistake in the design of kitchens-it leads to cluttered work surfaces, makes work uncomfortable, and the kitchen – sloppy. Therefore, when designing a kitchen, you should allocate as much space as possible for storing dishes, products, and appliances. This is especially important in small kitchens – you can sacrifice floor space, but do not reduce the functionality of the most important thing – kitchen furniture. To create additional storage in an already furnished kitchen, use compact cabinets, hanging shelves, hooks and rails, organizers, and containers.
2. excessive saving is a “trick” that often turns into a disappointment: this is especially true for kitchen furniture, which must be resistant to dirt and aggressive effects of sharp objects, cold and heat. Too cheap furniture may not meet your expectations, lose its appearance or completely fail. Of course, budget – does not mean low-quality, but when buying furniture that is cheap, you need to pay special attention to what materials it is made of, and the quality of accessories.
3. Wrong choice of countertop. The countertop is one of the most important elements of the kitchen, which accounts for the main impact. Some of the countertop materials are very practical and wear-resistant, others require minimal maintenance, and others are more of a decorative option. Therefore, when choosing materials, focus on your own lifestyle: after all, for two different families, the choice of countertops will be different if one prepares several dishes every day for the reception, while the other only warms up and brews drinks.
4. Blocking the kitchen triangle is a mistake that makes working in the kitchen uncomfortable and even dangerous. The triangle of the kitchen consists of a refrigerator, sink, and stove-between these points during cooking there is the busiest traffic. Therefore, do not put any obstacles between the vertices of the triangle (for example, a dining table), but place them at a distance of at least 1.2 meters and no more than 2.7 meters.
5. the Small area of the work surface creates problems in the cooking process – there is simply not enough space for laying out dishes, products, and processing them. If the area of your countertop is not enough for comfortable cooking, expand it with additional kitchen elements-a pull-out countertop, an island, a bar counter, a dining table.