Electrical outlets have the property that they are either too small, or they are in the wrong place. Both construction and renovation is a great opportunity to think about the layout of electrical outlets in a house or apartment.
Avoid extension cords
Light, audio and video equipment and household appliances, computer, tablet, and, above all, an increasing number of chargers — all this requires connecting to an outlet. Homelife shows that an electrical outlet in one or two corners of the room is definitely not enough to connect all the necessary devices. Extension cords and tees are the most common solution to this problem. However, they can be unsightly, difficult to access when they are behind furniture, and hidden under the carpet can lead to overheating or even fire.
Planning the location of the outlets is to draw a diagram
Construction or renovation is a good opportunity to properly plan the placement of sockets in the room. This can be done in a few simple steps.
1. on the floor plan of a house or apartment, you should mark the places where you will need sockets for power supply of household appliances, such as kitchen appliances, household appliances, DVD players, computers, printers, hairdryers, washing machines, lamps, and vacuum cleaners.
2. Estimate how many devices can be connected to each of these locations, then add one or two more outlets to them.
3. Install at least one double outlet in the corners of each room.
4. Plan a vacuum cleaner outlet near the door, but on the opposite side from the hinges.
5. In case there are long walls, then a good idea is to install additional sockets every 2-3 meters.
6. Layout of furniture arrangement PowerPoint, hidden behind a wardrobe, not useful.
7. (if necessary) It’s worth investing in multiple USB connectors and installing them in easily accessible locations. They can be used to charge phones or tablets without a charger.
Place the sockets at the desired height
Of course, not all outlets need to be at the same height. Here are some valuable tips:
in the kitchen, you should install sockets about 10-15 cm above the surface of the countertop, away from the sink and tap.
Place the sockets near the door (always on the side opposite the hinges) under the light switches.
At a table with a computer, you need to install several sockets just above the tabletop, so that they are easily accessible and if necessary, you can add more.
In residential rooms, sockets are usually placed at a height of 15 to 20 cm from the floor. If you think ahead, you should put them a little higher, for example, 40-50 cm above the floor. With age, it will not be easy for the family to bend over, and placing the sockets higher will make their use more convenient for all family members, both old and young.
Use the list of electrical equipment
When planning the location and number of outlets in a house or apartment, you should use the checklist. You can create it yourself, but most manufacturers of electrical equipment place such lists for each room on their websites.