Thinking about the next renovation in the apartment, you can’t help but think about painting the walls with paint. Should I use this finish in a residential area? Yes, there will be no restrictions on shades, and you can combine colors, drawings, and patterns. In addition, there are paints with different properties, characteristics, and abilities.
Pros and cons of wall paint
Among the advantages, the designers note:
1. Diversity-the stores offer a huge color palette, in addition, it is possible to mix shades, adjusting saturation, depth, brightness, and other parameters. Unexpected or traditional combinations will add expressiveness to the interior: each wall has its own color, splashes of paint, blotches, streaks, lines, ornaments, flowers, geometric patterns, smooth transitions, gradient.
2. Durability – if you choose a high-quality paint and follow all the rules when applying, the coating will last a very long time.
3. Durability – neither small children, nor animals, nor other mechanical damage can violate the integrity of the coating.
4. Easy care – even if you often wipe the walls, the paint will not be erased, the color will remain the same rich, and the texture is pristine.
5. Convenience-you can paint the walls with any convenient tool: roller, brush, spray, or sponge. The paint will be an ideal coating for rooms with imperfect walls, intricate outlines, and a lot of three-dimensional elements. Arches, columns, protrusions, inserts, or niches will be easier to process with liquid, the coating will be reliable and will lie flat.
6. elimination of defects-finishing in this way will hide small defects in the form of cracks, chips, scratches. You can fix the flaw quickly and easily.
However, it was not without its drawbacks:
1. Preparation – for uniform application and long service life, you will have to carefully align the walls, cover up all irregularities, make the corners perfect, sharpened, eliminate cracks, pits, etc.
2. Application – it looks like it’s easy to paint the walls, but in fact, the process has many subtleties. Beginners should take a roller, it is easier for them to apply paint. If you do not have the experience, and in other cases, too, it is better to buy high-quality formulations, the consistency also depends on a lot.
3. accumulation of dirt – some brands of paint are prone to attracting dust, so it is better to be safe and regularly carry out wet cleaning.
4. Damage-painted walls should be handled carefully: do not RUB, scratch, or hit.
Types of paints for interior wall decoration
This material is classified primarily by composition:
- water-dispersion paints are familiar to many people water-based emulsion, respectively, is present in the water; because of it the paint is easily absorbed, fast-drying, odorless, water vapor permeability, is not afraid of dirt, easy to clean;
- oil – it is based on natural and artificial drying oil, which add special pigments, these paints are durable and reliable, will last a long time, indoor and outdoor decoration; cons: very long time to dry, the smell is pungent, long weathered, the ability to pass air is almost absent;
- alkyd-the ingredients are combined with alkyd resins; with this paint, you can protect any metal from corrosion thanks to a special vapor-proof film; in residential areas, alkyd paint is rarely used, since the unpleasant smell does not fade for a long time;
- acrylic-the paint consists of resins that form a dense film on the surface, this protection protects against moisture and damage, there is no such unpleasant smell from acrylic paint, and it will dry quickly;
- the latex-the main component creates a spectacular glossy surface, paint is applied evenly and accurately to any texture;
- silicone-ideal for facades, repel water, pass steam.
It is important to choose the right color scheme for each room. For example, it is better to paint a narrow and dark hallway in light shades with a minimum of patterns: from white to beige. In the living room should not be flashy tones, calm blue, lilac, mint, gray, muted orange are perfect.
You can add more bright and juicy colors to the kitchen: orange, green, red, fuchsia, yellow, etc. Calm pastel colors for the bedroom will not distract, only calm, set up for healthy sleep.