The process of painting is not as simple as it may seem at first glance, but if you know the procedure, choose the right paint and tools, as well as have patience and perseverance, the result will meet your wildest expectations.
How much does it cost to paint the ceiling?
While the size of the ceiling will be the greatest driving factor behind your total costs, the tallness of your ceiling may likewise assume a job. The higher the ceiling, the more troublesome it might be to get to, and extra gear, for example, platform 1 or stepping stools, might be required to finish the activity. Thus, there is commonly an expansion in costs for every square foot at different statures. In certain occurrences, the cost per square foot may diminish somewhat in the event that you are painting numerous ceilings.
|8 to 9 feet||$1.25/sq.ft.|
|10 to 12 feet||$1.50/sq.ft.|
|12 to 18 feet||$2.00/sq.ft.|
Cost To Paint Ceiling: 8-9 Feet High
8 to 9-foot ceilings are viewed as the most effortless ceilings to paint and require no uncommon tools and no high stepping stool work. A painting contractor will either shower or roll these ceilings without any problem. The vast majority of the work will be in preparing the room and preparing it for paint.
The Cost to Paint 8-9 Foot Ceilings ought to be in the $0.60 per square foot go, or $300 for a 500 square foot room, and should take generally 50% of a day.
I would anticipate that contractors should come in somewhere close to $0.50 and $0.075 per square foot, or $250 – $375 for our 500 sq ft room.
Cost To Paint Ceiling: 10-12 Feet High
10 to 12-foot ceilings are going to take somewhat more time on the grounds that there will be more stepping stool work while really painting the room.
Serious costs for 10-12 foot ceilings will in general be in the $0.75 – $1 per square foot go.
So our 500 square foot incredible room would cost $375 – $500 and take 1/2 per day to 3/4 every day.
Cost to Paint 12-18 Foot Ceilings
12 to 18-foot ceilings will be much increasingly slow significantly more prep, stepping stool work, extraordinary sprayer (or post) expansions, and truly, will be a greater strain on the painter.
With the correct hardware, however, a paint contractor ought to have the option to take these ceilings out before long still, however.
For 12-18 foot ceilings, I would ordinarily charge somewhere in the range of $1 – $1.5 per square foot.
Our 500 square foot model would cost $500 – $750 and take 3/4 – 1 entire day.
If you have an empty room that does not require much preparatory work or a new building, you will need to pay 25-30% less for painting the ceiling. Because a significant part of the cost of painting the ceiling takes the process of preparing for painting.
Preparing the ceiling surface for painting
The most important stage is the preparation of the ceiling for painting. This part of the work is the most troublesome and long, but mandatory. Preparation of the ceiling surface can be divided into several main stages: removal of old finishes, leveling, and priming.
First of all, you need to remove all the old finish: wash off the whitewash with water, remove the Wallpaper with a spatula, ceiling tiles (made of pressed polystyrene), glue residues, and all layers of paint.
Next, you need to assess the evenness of the surface. Deep cracks (more than 5 mm), large differences, connecting seams between concrete slabs, boards or sheets of drywall are reinforced with glass mesh and sealed with plaster or special (repair) putty. In drywall ceilings, in addition to joints, you must also hide the caps of screws. After the plaster dries, we putty the entire ceiling until a completely flat surface is created (you may have to putty it several times). The dried putty is sanded with sandpaper to give smoothness. Wood surfaces (including plywood) must also be sanded until smooth.
The final stage of preparation is the priming of the surface. The primer reduces the absorption capacity of the base and increases the adhesion (adhesion) of the decorative material to the ceiling. The soil is selected depending on the type of base (concrete, wood, drywall) and the type of paint (water-based or oil-based). Before priming, dust the ceiling with a broom or vacuum cleaner. It is recommended to apply the primer in two layers. After it dries, you can apply paint.
The preparatory stage is the longest and most labor-intensive. But it is the quality of its execution that determines the final result of coloring.
What colors are available:
- Latex water-based paint. It dries quickly, “breathes” and is universal, but it is not recommended to use it in rooms with high humidity (bathroom, kitchen), because its composition is a beneficial environment for the development of fungi and bacteria. The thick consistency of this paint allows you not to putty the surface with small cracks — the composition will fill them and make the ceiling perfectly smooth.
- Silicate water-based paint. It is not as thick as latex, and also requires pre-treatment of the surface with a silicate primer. This paint is resistant to the development of fungal and pathogenic flora, so it can be decorated with ceilings in wet rooms.
- Silicone water-based paint. This is a fairly expensive material that combines optimal density with protection from mold development. The composition forms a dirt-repellent film on the painted surface, so the care of such a ceiling will be easy and convenient. Silicone paint is recommended to paint coatings in the kitchen.
- Acrylic paint. The universal type of finishing materials is easy to fit and relatively durable. A wide range of shades of acrylic paints will allow you to choose the perfect color solution for the ceiling.
How to paint ceilings with your own hands
Professional painters can suggest subtleties that will be very useful when painting the ceiling correctly. Proper ceiling painting requires some skills and dexterity, which can be quickly learned.
- Start painting the ceiling from the corners of the room. First, paint the corners farthest from the entrance with a thin brush, then switch to the roller. The first brushstroke is made from yourself, and the next – the opposite.
- Use the roller evenly. To avoid smudges, roll the roller in a small amount of paint.
- when painting the ceiling with a brush, you need to press the ceiling evenly to avoid draining the paint from the brush. It is recommended to hold the brush perpendicular to the corner of the surface to be painted. You should get a fairly wide band that you need to blend. Periodically descend from the ladder and examine the result of the work, highlighting the lamp.
- In any case, it is impossible to prevent the occurrence of draughts, and strong temperature fluctuations.
- carefully take care of the tools while painting the ceiling. Brushes should be thoroughly washed in warm water in between work.
Errors when painting the ceiling
The most common mistakes that are made when repairing the ceiling are the desire to save on paint and tools for work. You can’t buy the cheapest paint and the simplest roller and expect a good result.
If you violate the technology of painting, spots may appear on the ceiling surface. This may occur for the following reasons:
-initially poor quality of ceiling putty;
-the first coat of paint was applied unevenly.
There may be yellowish salt spots on a white background, so-called efflorescences. They appear due to the presence of mineral salts in the plaster solution.
In these cases, you need to remove the paint layer on the ceiling with sandpaper and paint the surface again. It is recommended to dry the ceiling, apply a special anti-salt solution, which is sold in stores, and apply another layer of paint.
There are cases when you can notice poorly painted areas of the ceiling when all the work is done. Further painting of these sections is impractical, you need to redo it again.
The surface of the ceiling may eventually show traces of a roller or brush. The reason for this phenomenon is that the paint was too thick. This area should be carefully cleaned with pumice or sandpaper and painted again.
So, we can conclude that the process of painting the ceiling is quite simple, but you need to treat it with careful preparation. It is necessary to observe the painting technology in all respects since all the slightest jambs and errors are visible on the ceiling.