Repair work in your favorite house or apartment is a responsible and quite difficult event, especially when it comes to choosing a floor covering for the room. Everything should be convenient for operation, beautiful, durable, and easy to wash. Floor renovation is one of the most important parts of the main home repair. For this reason, people often began to think about what is better – laminate or tile. We offer to talk about the subtleties of each type of coating.
What is laminate, its pros, and cons?
Laminate flooring vs tile, which is better. A few years ago, such a coating as laminate was considered elite, but today the price has fallen several times, but the quality is still the same as before. Laminate has also gained huge popularity because it has excellent external data. It can imitate not only solid wood, but even marble, tile, or granite. The material perfectly imitates other materials, and therefore it will be difficult to distinguish what exactly is covered with the floor.
Laminate is a coating that consists of several layers. In the manufacture of laminate, paper and cardboard are used. Sometimes even steel is used in the production of floor coverings. The outer part of the material is lined with a special plastic film. It is often replaced with foil. It is the foil and film that are responsible for creating the desired color for the laminate. There is a large amount of laminate, which is divided by the quality and density of the coating.
Advantages of laminate flooring
- Panels of laminate are quite easy to install. When you need to disassemble the coating, you can always quickly disassemble it. Laminate panels can be lined or simply locked one into another. The lock is considered the most practical way to attach the laminate. This system minimizes damage to the panels.
- The coating is highly durable. Any mechanical load is carried by the laminate. Heels, furniture legs, or animal claws are not afraid of covering. However, it is worth noting that for greater security of the top layer of the coating, you should use special linings under the furniture legs that will protect the laminate from deflections.
- Excellent resistance to high temperatures. If a burning match or cigarette butt falls on the laminate, the material will not light up like ordinary wood.
- Stains are not terrible for laminate. No stains remain after spilling wine, coffee, or tea on the laminate.
- Hygiene. The material is not prone to the penetration of bacteria and dirt. Easy to clean, any stains can be easily removed with a damp cloth.
Disadvantages of laminate flooring
- The main drawback of laminate is the sensitivity to moisture. When cleaning is carried out, do not use a cleaning vacuum cleaner. When water gets on the laminate, its surface begins to deform.
- The weakest point of the laminate floor is the seams. If the material was laid incorrectly, then water gets into the seams and begins to damage the laminate. First, the top layer is peeled off. Another disadvantage is the upper layer, which is represented by a water-repellent film. Even if the cleaning took place with a damp cloth, the floor still dries for a long time.
Oddly enough, the top layer of laminate has electrostatic properties, which in turn leads to the attraction of dust. Modern types of laminate do not have such flaws. However, their price is almost the same as that of the parquet.
Useful information! It is necessary to lay under the laminate lining, which eliminates the noise that is formed when walking on the coating.
Costs to install laminate flooring will approximately cost between $3 to $8 per square foot including labor and materials. These works are carried out by laminate flooring installers. Contact your local construction companies, they will help you calculate the price and the amount of material you need.
Floor tiles: features, prices, and disadvantages
Floor tiles are reliable and easy-to-care material. Tiles are made in different colors. Ceramics are perfectly combined with the interior of not only the kitchen, but also the bathroom, living room, and balcony. Tile flooring is used in supermarkets, offices, and municipal offices. Ceramic tiles are made from natural, environmentally friendly components. This is another plus of the material.
Advantages of tile flooring
- Long service life. When properly laid and carefully treated, tiles on the floor surface can last for more than a dozen years.
- High level of wear resistance. No matter how high the passability of the room, the appearance of tiles will remain for many years.
- Resistance to moisture. This indicator is several times higher than that of laminate. For tiles are not afraid of either floods or water flowing through the gap.
- Immunity to chemicals. The material can be easily washed and cleaned even from complex stains.
- After a time, the pattern will not fade.
The disadvantages of the tiles on the floor:
- Bad thermal conductivity of the tiles. The fact is that the tile coating is always cold, and its level is lower than that of other types of coatings. You can correct the lack if you make an additional floor heating.
- Tiles, especially when wet, begin to slide strongly, and this can lead to severe unexpected injuries in the kitchen.
- This coating on the floor is very solid, and it has no heat insulation. For this reason, any object that attacks it begins to break or deform strongly, and you can hear the sound throughout the apartment.
- put the tile carefully, do not spare the solution, because otherwise there will be voids that can lead to premature deformation.
If you compare the laying of laminate and tiles, the first type of coating will be easier and faster to put your own hands, but for laying tiles you need experience and a lot of time because otherwise it will start to swell or fall off. For this reason, for those who do not have such experience, it is easier and more convenient to lay laminate.
Another disadvantage of ceramics is its cost. The price of tiles varies greatly depending on the manufacturer, color, and size. In addition, the tiling will cost more than the installation of a laminate of the same area.
Cost to Install Tile. Generally, you’ll pay about $15 to $20 per square foot for the materials and installation. The average is $1,500 for a backsplash and $3,500 for a countertop. That includes a typical $5 to $10 per square foot for the tile and $4 to $14 per square foot for a pro to do the work.
What should I choose for flooring?
Make the final choice of flooring should be based on your own needs and budget. Laminate is a cheap option, but not as durable as ceramic tiles. Laminate is easy to damage as a result of flooding, and ceramics are not afraid of even a flood. On the other hand, if you lay the laminate correctly and do not fill it with water, it will last at least a tile. And it fits much faster and easier tile. Some of its types look textured, and their colors are richer than those of ceramics. In addition, it is much more pleasant to walk on it with bare feet in winter.
The final choice will be influenced by several factors:
– Personal preferences
– Presence/absence of Underfloor heating in the room
– Permeability. Intensity and frequency of use of the premises.